There truly is no place like home, your own bed, your own space—but what happens when that oasis is damaged? Your home, whether it is a house or a condominium is likely to be your most valuable asset. That is why homeowners insurance is so important, you need to make sure you have the right insurance and that your policy offers you adequate protection.

As you may know, homeowners insurance policies can be very different and are often catered to meet individual needs. However, there are damages that are typically covered under a homeowners insurance policy and damages that are usually not included.

Homeowners insurance policies usually covers home and personal property for damages resulting from:

  • Fire
  • Lightning
  • Smoke
  • Explosion
  • Riot or civil commotion
  • Falling objects
  • Air craft
  • Vehicles
  • Smoke damage – both sudden and accidental
  • Vandalism
  • Theft
  • Freezing of plumbing, heating and fire protection systems

Did you know that typical homeowners policies offer what is called dwelling protection? This means that it not only covers the home itself but also covered structures that are attached to it, such as a garage or deck. Your policy may also contain other structure protection, which could cover a detached garage, tool shed or even your fence.

Notably, homeowners insurance doesn’t just cover your home itself—but it also covers what is inside the home. One important aspect to consider when determining your coverage for personal property is the dollar limits for which you are covered.

While protection from mother nature is vital, most homeowners insurance also covers bodily injury liability. A typical homeowners insurance provides liability coverage when someone who is not living with you is injured while on your property.

While many items and situations are covered under a typical homeowners insurance policy—there are a few common damages that are not:

  • Earthquakes
  • Flooding
  • Mold
  • Sewer backup
  • Sinkholes
  • Termite infestation
  • Nuclear plant accidents

As insurance experts and your western Massachusetts neighbors who live and work where you do, The Dowd Insurance Agencies will help you analyze and determine the best homeowners insurance coverage for you. And if you rent, it’s important to note your landlord’s insurance does not cover your personal belongings, so we can advise you about renters insurance.  Contact a Dowd Agent today to review your coverage options.