October 14, 2010


For homeowners and rental property owners of 1 to 4 family homes who heat with oil, Chapter 453 of the Acts of 2008 became effective July 1, 2010.  The law requires:

  • The installation of either an oil safety valve or an oil supply line with protective sleeve on the systems that do not currently have these devices.
  • Insurance companies that write homeowner policies offer coverage for leaks from heating systems that use oil.


In order to be eligible for the coverage, one of the upgrades referenced above must have been completed by a licensed oil burner technician.  (Homes built since January 1, 1990 are exempt from the upgrade, since these installations were required by building code.)

The new optional escaped liquid fuel coverage now offered will provide coverage for your property and also liability coverage for another person’s property.  Currently, there is no coverage for damage to your property and in some instances there is no liability coverage for damage to another person’s property for escaped liquid fuel from your oil tank.  A fact sheet to help you better understand the new law is enclosed.

Dowd highly recommends purchasing the coverage now offered for escaped liquid fuel.


Since each insurance carrier is offering different coverage options, it would be best to call our office to find out what options you may purchase or provide us with a phone number below where we can reach you.


Property Location:                             Policy Number:                                  


I wish to find out more about the new endorsement.____

My phone number is______________________ during the day.


I am not interested in purchasing coverage for escaped liquid fuel.

Signed___________________________________   Date___________________


Please return in the enclosed postage paid envelope.  Thank you!